Tuesday, August 11, 2009

San Juan Nepomuceno

Things are moving right along down here south of the equator...as I mentioned at the end of my last posting we were waiting to find out where Peace Corps was going to send us for our two years of service. We finally found out about our sites just over two weeks ago in a very dramatic, day-long, drawn out process. Our trainers tried to distract us with games in our language classes, Paraguayan song and dance routines and endless snacks- none of which worked and none of which prevented us from totally harassing them. Finally at about 4pm, they handed out Peace Corps folders with letters stating where we would be living, some information about the town, the projects the municipalities are working on there, and who are site counterpart/contact person would be, which meant nothing at the time but now means a lot after our recent site visits. In case you're interested, the name of my town is San Juan Nepomuceno, it's in the department of Caazapa and it's about a five hour bus ride southeast of Asuncion, the capital of Paraguay.

The day after we got our assignments, our site contacts came to meet us at in our training communities where our language teachers made us participate in a lot of awkward ice breakers, did some "get to know you" activities, had lunch with our current host families, and then brought them home to stay the night....again, really awkward. It may not have been so bad, had my site contact not been a 22 year old dude who spent the greater majority of his time texting and talking on his cell phone. Add this to the fact that my host dad was upset because they sent a male as my contact (he was expecting a female, even though nobody ever gave him any information either which way), and my (male) contact had to stay over at the house, which meant that my three sisters who share a room all had to move into their parents room because my contact needed a place to sleep. Needless to say, I was grateful when that night was over. The following day, we all traveled, with our contacts, to our future sites to meet some people, get to the know the area and find a place to live- yes, we have to find our own place to live once we get to our sites, which they don't really tell you have to do until you leave for your site. I'm guessing this is intentional as they don't want to freak you out week 1 of training when realize that you have to just ask random people in your new community if you can move in with them for a month or so. We're required to live with a host family for the first three months in site and then we can move out on our own. Anyway, enough Peace Corps policy talk- so my contact dropped me off with the librarian in town who was also identified as a contact for me, and I didn't see him the rest of the five days I was in town. I'm not going to take this personally and I'm going to assume he still wants to work with me once I move there...we'll see. Lucky for me, the librarian (Soledad is her name) was awesome and I think she will be, not only, a great person to know in town as far as finding out work information, but also a really good friend- she's actually the same age as I am, but recently got divorced and has two little girls who are 7 and 3. I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that she and I are the same age and yet have such different lives but I'm looking forward to spending more time with her as she offered to let me stay in her house where she lives with her mom and her two girls.

So a little about the visit...I spent a lot of time with Soledad wandering around town- she took me to the grocery store (I'm very excited there is one, a lot of towns don't have one), meeting neighbors and family friends (everybody is related to everybody, like most towns in Paraguay), eating, talking and drinking lots coffee because it rained for three of the five days I was there and we all remember what happens when it rains here....life stops.....and in this case, the coffee drinking began. My ideal weekend doesn't usually include being over-caffeineted and trapped in a house, but I had good company and I got to watch Superbad on cable t.v, which was kind of a highlight. As far as work-related activities were concerned, I took a trip to the local hospital, which is not somewhere you would want to find yourself if you actually needed any of the services Americans normally assume a hospital provides . To give you some idea of what it was like, Soledad and I were able to walk through the hospital in about 3 minutes, we could see everybody in the 7 rooms they have available, all appeared to be indigenous folk with respiratory problems and on fluids but there wasn´t much help aside from that. I saw one nurse on duty and one other person cleaning the floors. Soledad then took me out to the back of the building where she proceeded to explain that, that was where they dump all the bio-hazard material that they collect in the hospital and then burn it because there is nowhere else to put it. There is no sanitary landfill to use and definitely no process for properly disposing of these kinds of materials. Although I knew this was true of hospitals here in Paraguay from my training, it's still something that shocks you when you see it. On a less intense note, I invited myself to a neighborhood commission meeting where everyone spoke Guarani and I understood about 1/4 of what they said, I went to a meeting about bringing potable water and health supplies to indigenous people who live in rural areas outside my town, and I went to a dinner with all the employees of the municipality for the "Dia de Amistad," which means "Day of Friendship." I honestly have no idea what this day is supposed to represent or where it came from, aside from the fact that people use it as an excuse to have a party with their friends, but there was a dinner and I was invited…so I went. The mayor stood up and said a few words to all the employees, proceeded to introduce me to the group and then asked if I would stand up and say something in front of everyone, including most of the city council members. Did I mention that Paraguayans like to make things as awkward as possible?

After surviving five days of speaking only spanish and being in a new place in the middle of Paraguay (alone), I was ready to get back to my training community and my host family and pretty excited about speaking english. Overall, I'm pretty pleased with my site assignment and think it will be a good fit for me, although I'm a little concerned because I recently met a representative from a local NGO (non-governmental organization- a Paraguayan, no less) who works with municipalities in Paraguay and when I told her the name of my site, she said "Oh, good luck with that...in the most sarcastic tone." That's not really what you want to hear about the municipality that you're about to go work with for two years, but such is life. We'll see how it goes- I'm going to assume this is part of the reason they requested a volunteer?

For now, I'm just enjoying my last week with my host family and spending as much as possible with them, as I will officially be done with training this Thursday and then we "swear-in" as volunteers on Friday, which sounds much more official than I think it really is. To make things a bit more interesting, there are rumors that President Lugo has been invited to our swearing in ceremony at the American Embassy. I have a feeling he won't be able to make it, since he is the president and all, but it was nice they invited him. We´ve heard he really likes the Peace Corps, as the last time he visited the United States he made a point to have lunch with former Peace Corps Paraguay volunteers at the national office, but as far as i´m concerned, that means nothing here.

I think that´s enough for now- i´ll write again when i´m a real volunteer….Thanks again to all of you who have written comments on the blog and/or sent e-mails- I can't tell you how great it is to hear from you even if it is just a quick hello. I miss you all and hope things are going well in your part of the world!

4 comments:

  1. Wow--lots of interesting stuff! I know how much you hate awkwardness, but your days seem so much more exciting than mine ("honey, can you come tell me if I hung this picture straight"). Plus, being a government nerd, the small town politics of Paraguay is something I'm looking forward to reading about (can you tell I still don't have TV?).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to know why you went to the hospital and got a tour of the bio-hazard?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all the detail about your experience. It is so informative, I feel like I am actually learning something about Paraguay and being in the peace corps! It sounds like a heluva experience! I tell your stories to all my friends - keep 'em comin'! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How can I email you??
    I hope you are well, I will stay tuned to your adventures! This may sound funny - but I kinda want to be back already!

    -rachel

    ReplyDelete